Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Things You Learn About Yourself in a Thrift Store

Good Afternoon Folks,

I found the cutest vintage, wood, spice shakers at the Goodwill last week and I thought I would use them as models in my quest to become a real photographer! A really good friend of mine, Lynnessy Catron, is a fabulous photographer and she has been nice enough to let me pick her brain about all things photography. You can check her work out here. She also hooked me up with a proper camera. A proper camera that I am so clueless about! I handle it like it's a bomb and peer at its screen with its mysterious text flashing about, mocking me. But, thanks to Lynnesy, I am slightly less fearful and overwhelmed by it this week. Slightly.

Back to the spice shakers. I love finding vintage kitchen items when I go a thriftin', so imagine my joy when I came across a little nest of vintage, wood, hand-painted shakers shaped like chefs! I think they are adorable but some of their expressions seem a little .... belligerent? Irritated? Nutmeg is truly shocked, right? Maybe they are little spice Rorschach tests and you see in them a reflection of your own feelings. Nah, because I am happy when I look at them.


Happy because I visualized the way I wanted this photo to look and with Lynessy's help, I actually made it happen just like what was in my head. This might seem a simple thing, but I am really excited! I went from being completely overwhelmed and doubtful to really psyched by all the possibilities. And I love possibilities.

While I was a thriftin, I had one of those moments that all hard-core thrifters have experienced. That moment when you see some item, some little thing you never knew you wanted and it speaks to you on some primal, hind-brain level. You know that it has been waiting for you all this time. You know it couldn't have been any other way, it was meant to be. Well, here's what the universe gave me last week...



There it was, just sitting there being a green glass hat.  Of course, I had seen pieces like these in thrift places dozens of times. But, I hadn't seen this one. Folks of a certain age will remember when these were common home decor, along with its buddy,  the glass shoe. I think they were toothpick holders, though I don't remember any actually holding toothpicks. I also seem to remember people had one or the other but never both. You were hat people or you were shoe people.

I remember hats and shoes in a range of sizes and they tended to be gold, green, red or blue. Some were made of milk glass. I had forgotten all about them. I truly doubt I have given them any conscious thought until I saw this dude last week. Why did I notice it now? Maybe it's because I have my own house now and have been so preoccupied lately with putting my stamp on it. Who knows. I do know that I am a hat person. A green glass hat person.

Have a good evening,

Lucky Charm

No comments:

Post a Comment